Professor, Department of Electrical & Computer Engineering
Director, Wireless And Mobile Systems Laboratory
Dr. Janise McNair is an Associate Professor of electrical & computer engineering at the University of Florida (ECE Florida). She is a researcher in the field of wireless networks and Internet of Things applications. Currently, her research creates frameworks for integrating IoT with 5G and 6G cellular systems. She was a pioneer in early next generation mobility management for cellular systems and later has focused on the development of multi-discipline, cross-layer systems for smart grid security analysis, IoT systems for construction site safety and security, and IoT systems for agriculture and food safety. She is currently a member of the Intelligence, Science and Technology Experts Group of the National Academies of Sciences Engineering and Medicine, the Integrity Committee of the IEEE Computer society, and was a participant in the 2008 DARPA Computer Science Study Group. She serves on the organizing committees of IEEE ICC 2024 and ACM CoNEXT 2022, and on the editorial boards of Nature Communications Engineering and Springer Wireless Networks Journal. Dr. McNair earned her B.S. and M.S. degrees from the University of Texas at Austin and her Ph.D. degree in ECE from the Georgia Institute of Technology, with a research focus on medium access control and mobility management in next generation wireless networks.
- 2023, Paper Recognition: Best Paper Session, IEEE PES General Meeting, D. Agnew , S. Boamah , R. MathieuG, A. Cooper, J. McNair, and A. Bretas. Distributed Software-Defined Network Architecture for Smart Grid Resilience to Denial-of-Service Attacks. 2023 IEEE Power & Energy Society (PES) General Meeting (GM), July 16-20, 2023.
- 2022, Paper Recognition: Featured Article in IET Smart Grid Journal, June 2022: A. Starke , K. Nagaraj , C. Ruben, N. Aljohani, S. Zou, A. Bretas, J. McNair, and A. Zare, “Cross-Layered Distributed Data-Driven Framework for Enhanced Smart Grid Cyber-Physical Security,” IET Smart Grid Journal, 5(6), 398– 416 (2022).
- 2022, Awarded Nelms Faculty Fellow, UF Warren B. Nelms Institute for the Connected World
- 2021 Star in Networking and Communications
Awarded as one of 13 Stars in Networking and Communications in 2021 by the N2Women (Networking Women) group of the IEEE Communications Society. The N2Women’s Stars List recognizes researchers who have displayed outstanding research outcomes and/or service contribution in the networking and communications field.
- 2019, One of three faculty in ECE nominated for the teacher of the year award by the department undergraduate students.
- 2019-2021, 2015 Distinguished Member, IEEE INFOCOM Technical Program Committee.
This distinction is awarded based upon ratings by peer TPC members, fairness in review scores, and promptness in meeting various deadlines during the review process.
- 2014-2015, Awarded the University of Florida Doctoral Mentoring Award
- 2013 Senior Membership status in the IEEE